There are about 11,000 species of birds in the world. All of them are unique in their way and interesting for lovers of ornithology. Most birds are diurnal and relatively easy to observe using standard optics. However, some species are active only at night. To follow them, wildlife lovers will need a variety of night vision devices. They will simplify the search for birds in the dark and provide an opportunity to study them in detail.
The process of observing night birds is more challenging than it seems. In this case, it is essential to adhere to several important rules. They will save the observer from various problems that could turn a pleasant event into an uncomfortable experience.
General rules for observing night birds:
- The observer must be as quiet as possible and not attract attention with sudden movements. It is tough to achieve this, but with silence and accuracy, it will be possible to approach the birds at a close distance.
- When using various night vision devices, you need to ensure they do not emit any light and do not allow birds to locate a person. In this case, the likelihood of frightening the birds will be much less.
- When observing nocturnal birds, it is essential to remember the weather. It can change much faster at night, so it is necessary to be prepared for various surprises. To do this, you should always carry rain and wind protection. Also, remember the safety of the optics used. Sometimes, it is not designed to operate in adverse weather conditions.
- Nocturnal birds are often timid. Because of this, they usually have to be observed from a relatively large distance, so you must select the appropriate optics carefully.
The choice of night optics
It would be best to take night optics to see various birds in the dark. It will become a critical assistant, making it possible to find and examine the flying representatives of the fauna in detail. Among a large number of such devices for birdwatching, the following types are best suited:
- Monocular. To watch night birds as comfortably as possible, choose compact optics. The monocular is ideal for amateur and professional bird watchers. It fits in a pocket or backpack, so carrying it to your destination will be easy. Also, this optic is always easy to control, so even people who have not previously dealt with night vision can learn how to use it. You should choose models with maximum range and a large viewing angle for bird watching. In this case, it will be possible to cover a vast territory with a glance and identify birds of interest.
- Binoculars. This is an improved version of the monocular. It differs from it in large dimensions and weight, but it opens up more opportunities for the bird lover. With the help of such binoculars, it will be possible to observe with two eyes, which is more familiar to a person. In addition, this optics has more functionality, which will help the user realize their ideas. Choosing models suitable for birdwatching requires the same approach as with monoculars.
- Glasses. If you need to observe night birds from a short distance, then night vision glasses are the best option. These devices are mounted on the user’s head, saving him from unnecessary movements that can frighten the birds away. Other advantages of the glasses include compactness and ease of use.
- Camera. Night cameras will be in demand in cases where you need to not only watch birds but also record their actions on video. Such devices provide good image quality that can be used for a more detailed study of a particular species. The best model for lovers of night birds will be an NV camera with a large selection of settings that allow you to adapt it to the surrounding conditions.
Any night activity associated with wildlife is potentially dangerous to human life and health. Therefore, in order not to get into unpleasant situations, it is necessary to take precautions. They are pretty simple, but every lover of night birds should know them.
- Most often, night bird watching is carried out in a dark forest. In this case, it is essential to protect yourself from predators, for which a person can become suitable prey. To do this, it is recommended to monitor the birds and the surrounding area. When the first signs of the approach of a large animal appear, it is necessary to leave as quickly as possible to another place.
- It would be best to go a long distance to find a bird in a dark forest. It would be best to be as careful as possible when moving, as any stone or tree branch can cause serious injury. Various NVDs will help to avoid collisions with them, with the help of which everything hidden in the dark will become distinguishable.
- When birdwatching, you need many items to help you find a way out of unforeseen situations. In this regard, the ornithologist’s backpack should contain medicines, a small supply of food and water, a flashlight, a means of communication, and spare clothes. The basic set above can be supplemented with other potentially valuable items.
- When watching night birds, tell one of the relatives or team members your location. These people will know exactly where to look for someone in trouble in unforeseen situations.
Birds are beautiful, graceful, and it is always exciting to watch them. You will need special night optics to enjoy this process in the dark. With its help, it will be possible to examine the appearance of birds, observe their lifestyle and obtain necessary scientific information. In addition, such devices will provide an opportunity to get absolute pleasure from communicating with wildlife.